The Tripawds Amputation Surgery Assistance Program (ASAP) is available for people in need of help paying for amputation surgery for pets. The ASAP veterinary financial aid grants help pay veterinary expenses related to amputation for dogs and cats.
What is Tripawds ASAP?
The ASAP fund is a veterinary financial assistance program of the Tripawds Foundation. These grants are only made possible with your help. Our goal is to help financially distressed individuals with the unexpected financial burden of amputation surgery for a dog or cat. We understand that an unexpected, major veterinary surgery like amputation can create financial hardship for families. For those with limited financial means, these costs can often be out of reach. An inability to pay may mean the premature death of a beloved family pet. As a result, for those who need it, we help paying for amputation surgery
PLEASE NOTE: Tripawds ASAP grant applications are first come, first served. Availability is subject funding. Please help keep this program going!
That’s why we created the Tripawds Amputation Surgery Assistance Program. When faced with unexpected expensive vet bills on a limited income, we understand that every little bit helps. We also want to assist as many three legged pets and their people as possible. To help paying for amputation surgery, we currently offer $1000 in financial aid for each of two applicants per month. All grant recipients must meet program income requirements, and submit the necessary documentation.
Vet Bill Assistance Program Overview
The Tripawds Foundation understands that in the most cases $1000 will not fully cover amputation surgery vet bills. Tripawds ASAP funds help as many people as possible with at least some sort of compensation. Here are other financial aid resources to apply for additional funds from other organizations.
ASAP grants are available thanks to the generous support of donors who believe every amputee cat or dog deserves a fighting chance to thrive on three legs.
As the Tripawds ASAP fund grows, we hope to increase both the maximum amount reimbursed and the number of grants available. But we can’t do that without your help!
Want to apply? Please review this entire page very carefully before submitting your application! You do not need to register as a member. We encourage all applicants to participate in the Tripawds community to get and share the best amputation recovery and care tips. (Not a Tripawds member? Start here.)
- Application is currently limited to pet parents living in the United States or Canada.
- Applicant must be an individual person, not an animal rescue or any other organization. (Rescues/Shelters Apply Here)
- Two grant of up to $1000 USD each are available each month. (Terms and availability subject to change.)
- Payment is only available for amputation surgery for dogs or cats.
- Applicants must apply within 60 days of the surgery date.
- Optional Documentation: We encourage grant applicants to submit a story and photos about their pet’s diagnosis and/or amputation recovery and care experience to be published on the Tripawds website.
- Deadlines: First come, first served. Currently maximum, two grants per month.
- Recipients will be selected based solely on financial need, with required proof of income qualification. See below for details.
- Only selected recipients will be notified by email. Payment can be made directly to vet clinic prior to amputation. Or, via Paypal or check directly to applicant after surgery.
- Canadian grant recipients will only be reimbursed via Paypal. Reimbursement by check is not available for Canada residents. Direct payment to vet clinics is available via U.S. bank credit card.
- When identifying Number of People in Household, only include self, spouse and dependent children. (Roommates, Significant Others, and Parents do not apply.) Total number of occupants must match that indicated on proof of need qualification.
- Link to any crowdfunding page (e.g.; gofundme.com) raising funds for the pet must be provided when applicable. NOTE: If funds have been raised to cover surgery expense at time of documentation review, application will be disqualified.
- Grant recipient may not have received funds from any other Tripawds Foundation programs within the past 90 days.
- Provision of any altered documentation or falsified information will be grounds for immediate dismissal of your application without notice.
NOTE: This post will be updated accordingly with any changes to the program or if funds are no longer available.
How to Apply for Surgery Assistance
COMPLETE SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION MUST ACCOMPANY ALL APPLICATIONS.
1. Read this entire page first.
Please review all details, requirements, restrictions and instructions carefully to improve your chance of being selected!
2. Complete Your Application
Links to share:
- Online Application: http://tri.pet/asapfundapp (Google Docs Form)
- Program Details: http://tri.pet/asap-fund (This Page)
3. Submit Supporting Documentation
Email all your supporting documentation in one message to: email@example.com with the subject “ASAP Grant Application“.
You will need to include…
PROGRAM ENROLLMENT: Attach proof of enrollment in state or federal entitlement program, including: WIC, welfare, food stamps, Medicaid, VA Disability Compensation, Social Security Disability or Retirement Benefits or Supplemental Security Income (e.g.; award letter from current year, or recent payment stub). Neither Social Security Retirement Benefits nor Disability Insurance alone qualify as proof of need according to U.S. DHHS Poverty Guidelines.
- If providing Social Security (Retirement, Survivor, or Disability Insurance) Benefits as your sole source of need verification, you must also provide a copy of most recent tax return.
INCOME VERIFICATION: Attach proof of current total annual household income (e.g.; IRS Form 1040A, Line 15) at or below 200% of federal or state poverty guidelines. Any 1099 statement(s) do not constitute verification of total income. See Table 1 below for details.* Proof of income can be provided in the form of:
- a) Your most recent income tax forms, or
- b) Current pay stub(s) indicating at least six months of income.
- c) NOTE: Student loan statements alone will not suffice as income verification.
- d) NOTE: When reporting any more than one individual in household, a copy of the most recent tax return clearly indicating number of dependents is required.
All documentation must show the same name and address as indicated on the vet clinic receipt for amputation surgery and grant application. We do not need your social security number. Please omit from all documents.
- Attach a copy of final itemized estimate or receipt from veterinary clinic indicating date of surgery and all costs for amputation surgery.
- NOTE: The name and address of the Client (person) and Patient (pet) names listed on receipt must be the same as those indicated on the Tripawds ASAP Grant Application.
Do NOT submit any additional unnecessary documentation. Bloodwork results, discharge instructions, case summaries, receipts for any veterinary care prior to amputation, personal pleas for assistance or anything else not specifically requested above should not be included with your application.
NOTE: For direct payment to a veterinary clinic, please inform case manager prior to application and provide vet contact information when submitting documentation.
- Attach a copy of your Photo ID (Drivers License, Passport, etc.)
- Name and address on ID must match that indicated on your application.
- Current photo of pet requiring surgery, or post-op photo.
- OPTIONAL: Essay describing your pet’s need for surgery.
4. Await Notification
You will be notified within 48 hours upon receipt of your application and all supporting documentation. If your application is approved, we’ll notify you by email within five business days.
5. Share Your Story!
We encourage grant applicants to submit a story and photos about their pet’s diagnosis and/or amputation recovery. Your essay will not be judged for application purposes. If selected as a grant recipient, your story will be published in the Tripawds Foundation News blog. We’ll provide a link to your article which we encourage you to share to help spread the word about help paying for amputation surgery. Do not share news of your grant award until directed to do so by the Tripawds Foundation
Please refer to the far right column in the table below for maximum qualifying total income levels to receive Tripawds ASAP funding. This U.S. Department of Health & Human Services Poverty Guidelines has more information.
*Maximum Income Qualifications
NOTE: Number of people in household indicated on application must match that on tax return when providing documented income as proof of need verification, OR proof of enrollment in state or federal entitlement program must be provided for all adult household occupants.
*48 CONTIGUOUS STATES AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA. FOR FEDERAL POVERTY GUIDELINES IN ALASKA AND HAWAII, PLEASE VISIT https://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty-guidelines
Please leave a comment below with any general inquiries. Do not comment with questions about your application. You may also call the Tripawds Helpline at 844-874-7293 for support. If nobody is available, or the host is unable to answer your question, please leave a message with your phone number and email address to receive a response within 48 hours. For fastest response, please email the Tripawds Foundation.
Tell a friend! Use the social media buttons below to share the news about this program, or consider a charitable contribution to support this and other Tripawds Foundation programs.
Additional Veterinary Financial Assistance Programs
Please also see the following posts for updated lists of other veterinary financial aid programs.