The Tripawds Rescue Fund helps public shelters and rescue organizations raise funds for animals in need of amputation while waiting for adoption. To help prevent economic euthanasia of animals with life threatening limb injuries or limb differences, the Tripawds Foundation is now matching up to $500 in funds raised by organizations that meet our requirements.
Applications for veterinary financial assistance toward amputation surgery for dogs and cats in the care of a 501c3 Rescue or public animal shelter are accepted between the 1st and 15th of every month.
Please review all guidelines below prior to applying. This page will be updated as necessary with any changes. Read program announcement here.
Sponsor this program or contribute here to keep it going!
The Tripawd Rescue Problem:
Ever year, numerous animals in need of an amputation due to accident, injury, neglect, or other reasons will enter the shelter / rescue system. These financially stressed organizations are challenged to pay for such unexpected surgeries. Some dogs and cats are helped if funds can be quickly raised via crowd-funding and social media campaigns. But many remain untreated for extended periods. Lack of funding and limited shelter space cause many animals to be euthanized.
Tripawds Rescue Fund Program Guidelines
The Tripawds Foundation Rescue program is a matching grant. It pays $500 toward the cost of amputation surgery for dogs and cats. They must be in the care of a public animal shelter or 501c3 charitable animal rescue that is actively fundraising for the animal’s care on social media.
This program is open to all public animal shelters or 501c3 charitable animal rescues in the U.S. facilitating medical care to an animal in need of amputation surgery. Any eligible organization can apply regardless of location, size or annual revenues, including non-profit “Friends of” organizations supporting public shelters.
Applicants must maintain an active presence on at least two of the following social media platforms: Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, or Twitter.
If chosen for consideration, the organization agrees to participate in a crowd-funding campaign on social media promoting matching funds available from the Tripawds Foundation. The campaign will incorporate specific messaging about this Tripawds Foundation program, and tag the Tripawds account. See below for social media handles and suggested post content.
How it Works:
STEP 1: The application period is open between Day 1 and Day 15 of each month. Up to two animal shelters, rescues or qualified organizations are accepted monthly on a first-come, first-served basis. Each completed application form must include:
- Proof of 501c3 status or public shelter eligibility.
- Written description of the animal needing surgery. Include name, age, breed, reason for amputation, and location.
- Link to adoption info page for animal including photos and/or link to YouTube video(s) of the animal when available.
- Link to at least one social media post (on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest etc.) promoting the animal’s fundraising campaign.
- Estimate of amputation surgery costs from the veterinary clinic performing the surgery*
STEP 2: If accepted, applicant agrees to conduct an ongoing social media campaign. It must last the remainder of the month or until sufficient funds are raised. The campaign must raise at least $500 toward the cost of surgery for the injured cat or dog. The campaign content (i.e., Facebook posts) will incorporate messaging provided by Tripawds Foundation and tag our organization on all communications. See below for examples.
STEP 3: If applicant meets the $500 matching fund goal within the campaign timeline (last day of month), Tripawds Foundation will grant $500 to the organization. Upon receipt of payment via Paypal or bank check, the applicant agrees to conclude social media campaign with at least one post detailing the animal’s pending or completed amputation surgery and acknowledging the Tripawds Foundation’s role in the fundraising process.
NOTE: Google account required since documents must be uploaded during application process.
Social Media Accounts and Suggested Content
The official “Tripawds” account must be tagged when posting on social media:
- @Tripawds – Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest
- @TripawdsCommunity – Instagram
NOTE: Tag Tripawds using the “@” symbol (required). Using these hashtags is optional but highly encouraged: #tripawds #tripawdrescue #threeleggeddog #threeleggedcat #doglegamputation #catlegamputation #tripawdsofinstagram #tripawd #tripod #amputeepets
Example Fundraising Post Content
Social media posts soliciting funds for amputation must promote fundraising for the animal in need of an amputation, and include information about the potential matching funds available from the Tripawds Foundation.
All posts should include direct links for accepting donations (e.g.; Facebook Fundraiser), or links to the organizations crowd-funding campaign page (e.g.; gofundme, fundly, spotfund, etc.†) or other method of fundraising. The following are only suggestions for example content.
DURING Fundraising Campaign
Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest:
(NAME OF ANIMAL) urgently needs a leg amputation, but we need your help to pay for it! @Tripawds will grant $500 in matching funds IF we raise $500 soon. Your donation can help us get there! Donate now at (FUNDRAISING LINK) #tripawds #tripawdrescue
Poor (NAME OF ANIMAL). Her leg needs amputation to save her life! @TripawdsCommunity can grant $500 to help pay for the surgery, IF we raise $500 first. Your gift can help us get there! (FUNDRAISING LINK) #tripawdsofinstagram #tripawdrescue
AFTER Campaign Match:
Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest:
You Did it! Thanks to supporters like you and a matching grant from the @Tripawds Foundation, (NAME OF ANIMAL) will live a happy life on three legs and is ready for adoption.
(NAME OF ANIMAL) is so hoppy without that bad leg! You pawesome donors and the @TripawdsCommunity #TripawdRescue Fund saved (his/her) life! Thank you!
*The Fine Print:
- The application period is open on a first-come, first-served basis every month, starting February 1, 2021.
- To guarantee delivery of matching funds, only the first two applicants will be accepted each month.
- Organizations may not apply if they received a Tripawds grant within the past 90 days.
- Program is currently only open to U.S.-based organizations.
- Applicants agree to engage in fundraising campaign via social media on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and/or Pinterest.
- Campaign must promote availability of potential matching funds from the Tripawds Foundation and tag the Tripawds account.
- Applicants lacking a 501c3 designation can apply if they represent a public shelter, or if they have a current fiscal-sponsorship umbrella agreement with an existing 501c3 charity.
- Only limb amputation surgeries on cats or dogs are eligible for this program.
- If $500 minimum is not raised, applicant may re-apply once for the same animal the following month.
- A private or public licensed veterinary clinic must conduct the amputation surgery.
- Itemized surgery estimate cannot be older than 30 days.
†Find more GoFundMe alternatives:
- Fundly: 7 GoFundMe Alternatives
- Givebutter: Top 7 GoFundMe alternatives
- DoubleTheDonation: Top 6 GoFundMe Alternatives
- CrowCrux: 5 Best GoFundMe Alternatives
Please Help The Tripawds Rescue Fund
The Tripawds Rescue Fund matches up to $500 in funds raised by an organization specifically for limb amputation of an animal in their care. If your organization is able, please consider supporting this fund to help more animals get the urgent care they need!
Post any questions below. Please review all comments for answers first.