The Tripawds Amputation Surgery Assistance Program is now available to people in need of financial help with veterinary expenses related to amputation for their dog or cat.
What is Tripawds ASAP?
This financial assistance fund is a trial program of the Tripawds Foundation. Our goal is to help financially distressed individuals with the unexpected financial burden of amputation surgery for a dog or cat. We understand that an unexpected, major veterinary procedure like amputation can create financial hardship for families. For those with limited financial means, amputation surgery costs can be out of reach. An inability to pay can mean the premature death of a beloved family pet.
That’s why we created the Tripawds Amputation Surgery Assistance Program (ASAP). When faced with unexpected expensive vet bills on a limited income, we understand that every little bit helps. We also want to assist as many three legged pets and their people as possible. So we are currently offering up to $500 in financial aid to applicants who meet program income requirements, and submit the necessary documentation within the required time frame.
Vet Bill Assistance Program Overview
The Tripawds Foundation understands that in the vast majority of cases $500 will not fully reimburse people for amputation surgery veterinary bills. Tripawds ASAP funds are intended to help people with at least some sort of compensation.
This trial program is available thanks to the generous support of donors who believe every amputee cat or dog deserves a fighting chance to thrive on three legs.
As the Tripawds ASAP fund grows, we hope to increase both the maximum amount reimbursed and the number of grants available. But we can’t do that without your help!
- Application is currently limited to registered Tripawds members living in the United States or Canada. (Not a member? Start here.)
- Applicant must be an individual person, not an animal rescue or any other organization.
- One time each month, one grant recipient will be rewarded up to $500 USD. (6 month trial program)
- Funds are only available for reimbursement of expenses directly related to amputation surgery for dogs or cats.
- Applicants must apply within 30 days of the surgery date.
- Grant requests may be submitted from the 1st through the 15th each month, starting January 1, 2017.
- Additional Documentation: Each grant applicant must submit a 350± word story and at least two photos about their pet’s diagnosis and/or amputation recovery and care experience to be published on the Tripawds website.
- All applications and supporting documentation must be received no later than 9:00 a.m. Pacific time on the 15th of the month.
- Recipients will be selected based on financial need, with required proof of income qualification. See below for details.
- No application essay will be evaluated, and there is no judging process. The applicant with the lowest income that month will receive the award.
- Selected recipients will be notified by email on or before the 30th of the month and receive payment via Paypal, check mailed to address on application, or disbursement directly to veterinary office..
- Only grant winners will be notified. If you did not receive a notification by the 30th, your application was not selected.
- Grant recipient may not have received funds from any other Tripawds Foundation programs within the past 90 days.
- Applicants may re-apply one time, by re-submitting the original application in the following month. Supporting documents do not need to be re-sent.
- All applications from the previous month will be discarded.
- Any falsified information provided will be grounds for immediate dismissal of your application.
How to Apply for Surgery Assistance
Please Note: Grants are only for reimbursement of completed amputation surgeries. Your initial application must be submitted within 30 days of surgery date. If your initial application is not selected, you may reapply once in the next application period. You may only apply twice.
NOTE: Applications submitted after the 15th will be discarded. Please apply after the 1st of the month for that month’s grant.
1. Read this entire page first.
Please review all details, requirements, restrictions and instructions carefully to improve your chance of being selected!
2. Complete Your Application
Preferred Method: Complete online application here.
Links to share:
NOTE: After application is received by Tripawds Foundation, you will receive a PDF of your completed form at the email address you entered on the application. Keep this for your records and include it when submitting your supporting documentation or when re-applying.
3. Submit Supporting Documentation
Email all your supporting documentation in one message to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “ASAP Grant Application“.
You will need to include…
- Attach proof of enrollment in state or federal entitlement program, including: WIC, welfare, food stamps, Medicaid, VA Disability Compensation, Social Security Disability or Supplemental Security Income (e.g.; award letter from current year, or recent payment stub). Disability insurance alone does not qualify as proof of need according to U.S. DHHS Poverty Guidelines*
- Attach proof of current annual household income at or below 200% of federal or state poverty guidelines. See Table 1 below for details.* Proof of income can be provided in the form of:
- a) current pay stub(s) indicating at least six months of income, or
- b) your most recent income tax forms.
- All documentation must show the same name and address as indicated on the vet clinic receipt for amputation surgery and grant application.
- We do not need your social security number. Please omit from all documents.
- To complete your application you must provide a 300+ word written summary and at least 2 photos describing your pet’s diagnosis and/or amputation recovery experience prior to the application deadline. This article will be published on the Tripawds Foundation website. The essay will not be evaluated or judged in any way affecting your eligibility.
- Attach a copy of final itemized receipt from veterinary clinic indicating costs associated with amputation surgery.
- NOTE: The name and address of the Client (person) and Patient (pet) names listed on receipt must be the same as those indicated on the Tripawds ASAP Grant Application.
NOTE: For direct payment to a veterinary clinic, please inform case manager prior to application and provide appropriate contact information when submitting documentation.
- Attach a copy of your Photo ID (Drivers License, Passport, etc.)
- Name and address on ID must match that indicated on your application.
4. Await Notification
You will be notified within 48 hours upon receipt of your application and all supporting documentation. You will receive no further notices unless you have been selected as that month’s award recipient. Do not send additional emails regarding the status of your application, you will not receive a reply. If your application is selected, you will be notified prior to the 30th of that month. Upon receipt of your story and photos, your grant will be sent via Paypal or check.
*Maximum Income Qualifications
Please refer to the far right column in the table below for maximum qualifying income levels to receive Tripawds ASAP funding. This U.S. Department of Health & Human Services Poverty Guidelines has more information.
5. Share Your Story
If selected as a Tripawds ASAP grant recipient, you will be provided a link to your article published in the Tripawds Foundation News blog. You are encouraged to share this link with others to help spread the word about the fund availability. Do not share news of your grant award until directed to do so by the Tripawds Foundation.
Please leave a comment below with any general inquiries. Do not comment with questions about your application. You may also call the Tripawds Helpline at 844-874-7293 for support. If nobody is available, or the host is unable to answer your question, please leave a message with your phone number and email address to receive a response within 48 hours. For fastest response, please email the Tripawds Foundation.
Tell a friend! Use the social media buttons below to share the news about this program, or consider a charitable contribution to support this and other Tripawds Foundation programs.